See the Event Calendar to learn when this movie will be discussed.
An arrogant military journalist screws up and is sent to the front line to fight a war against invading aliens trying to conquer the Earth. He knows nothing about weapons or fighting. He is killed within seconds of hitting the beach in an amphibious assault. Suddenly he wakes up and finds that it is the same day but before he was sent to fight. Unfortunately, the same sequence of events plays out and he dies again in the same way. This process begins repeating (live, die, repeat). He does not know why, but he comes to learn that he is in some kind of time loop and the day he is killed repeats over and over. He further learns that the Earth is doomed because the human race cannot defeat this very powerful enemy.
As this time loop continues to repeat countless times, he learns to adapt to the time sequence, and he lives a little longer each repetition. Finally he meets a female soldier who has an idea how to use his unique ability to experience this day over and over again may give the human race an edge — a chance to beat the alien invaders. He also learns that this fluke time-loop ability of his may be lost at any time. To save the Earth, he must try to live long enough to do it without losing his ability and dying permanently…
How to Prepare for the Movie Club Discussion of This Movie
- Watch the movie. (Use your favorite movie site or Amazon’s website for a small fee.)
- Take notes so you can summarize the movie later, pausing as necessary.
- Write down any words or phrases that are new to you, pausing as necessary.
- Summarize in writing what the movie was about — the basic plot with some key events, similar to what I have done above but with more detail.
- We will then discuss some selected scenes in the movie to exercise your new vocabulary and test your listening comprehension skills (understanding).