1. Zyrees Oliver was a 17-year-old football player who passed away after drinking two gallons of water and two gallons of Gatorade to stop leg cramps during practice.
2. A muscle cramp is a strong, painful contraction or tightening of a muscle that comes on suddenly and lasts from a few seconds to several minutes. It often occurs in the legs. A muscle cramp is also called a “charley horse”.
3. Oliver drank too much liquid that day to stop leg cramps during practice.
4. Drinking too much liquid diluted the electrolyte, nutrient, and sodium levels in his blood, which caused devastating brain swelling and brain death.
5. It’s a substance designed to increase the amount of water and salt expelled from the body as urine. Coffee is considered to be a diuretic.
6. IV stands for “intravenous.” An IV is a procedure where a bottle of liquid nutrients is fed into your veins by gravity drip through a plastic tube and needle.
7. The symptoms of water intoxication are headache, behavioral changes, confusion, and drowsiness.
8. The word “Sodium” is derived from the word “soda”. Soda drinks, aka carbonated drinks, contain a compound called sodium carbonate. This is what gives soft drinks their “gas bubbles” or fizz. “Natrium” is the Latin word for “sodium carbonate”. The chemical symbol for Sodium is “Na”. “Hypo” means “under” or “less than”. “Natremia” means sodium. Hyponatremia means “low sodium” levels due to water dilution.
1. He used to bring her flowers, sing her love songs, hold her close late at night after making love, and tell her about his day after work every day. In addition, he always hated to leave her when going to work and couldn’t wait to get back home to be in her presence. They would talk about the distant future and things lasting forever.
2. It’s a whole different thing now. He doesn’t do any of those things anymore.
3. She feels sad because they used to be great lovers.
4. She learned how to laugh, cry, love, and lie.
5. She can’t learn how to say goodbye and leave him.
6. (Your answer goes here.)