Let’s assess your knowledge of verb tenses. Select the correct answer to each question.
1) A Famous writer once _____ : “There _____ three rules for writing a novel. Read my book and understand please.”
a) says / are
b) said / are
c) has said / were
d) is saying / has been
2) Foreign language teaching, as distinct from ESL , _____ always _____ its specific problems.
a) is / having
b) are / having
c) has / had
d) has / been having
e) had / been having
3) A few years ago I _____ a daily journal in which I _____ all my interactions in the classroom.
a) was starting / have been recording
b) started / am recording
c) have started / had recorded
d) had started / recorded
e) started / recorded
4) Ever since the Beatles first _____ to fame in the sixties, Liverpool _____ a leader in popular music.
a) was rising / was
b) rises / is
c) had risen / had been
d) will rise / is
e) rose / has been
5) The Walker Art Gallery _____ the largest collection of paintings outside London, while The Tate Liverpool Gallery _____ a national collection of the 20 th century art.
a) had / is holding
b) was having / was holding
c) had had / has been holding
d) has / holds
e) will have / held
6) The medical school, which _____ in 1867, _____ into University College as the Faculty of Medicine in 1884.
a) was established / was incorporated
b) will be established / is incorporated
c) is established / is incorporated
d) has been established / has incorporated
e) had been established / has been incorporated
7) By the end of this year, Paul _____ French for three years but he will still need more training and experience before he _____ the language.
a) will have been studying / masters
b) will be studying / is mastering
c) has studied / mastered
d) has studied / will master
e) has been studying / has mastered