Happily, we don’t have too many menacing animals in our place.
There are no poisoned scorpions, blood-thirsty crocodiles, no noiseless panthers and even birds are peaceful.
The only candidates to scare people are wolves, bears, and tigers. Most of them are tired of Russians and that’s why they avoid calm meetings with them living on their own deep inside the forests.
But it doesn’t mean that there are no threats at all. Some of them are so little that it’s even hard to notice them, but they can be more dangerous than a bear.
I’m going to show you the scary one: Ixodes ricinus.
There are many sorts of them: Ixodes ricinus , Ixodes persulcatus, Ixodes ricinus, Dermacentor reticulatus and others. But for simplicity let’s say we have one type and call them “Ixodes”.
Why are they dangerous? Those tiny bugs are carriers for many mortal diseases.
Lyme disease, borreliosis, encephalitis are his “friends”
They need blood of animals for their offspring, so they try to reach some animal or human after they wake up after winter.
They are tiny, their bite is insensitive because they use some anesthetic during biting, so it’s really hard to protect yourself.
But there are a few tricks still.
1. They don’t bite immediately after reaching human’s skin, they crawling pretty long time trying to find the most perspective place for bite. So if you are in the forest you’d better watch yourself more often that once in 2 hours.
2. After biting they suck your blood for 5-6 days, enough time to notice them and to apply for medical help. But remember that it’s better to unplug the bug immediately after detection.
3. Never throw away the bug after unplugging, keep it and pass to the medical center. They can detect was it infected or not, and it can save your life.
4. To prevent getting the company better to use special aerosols and special forest clothes.
5. If you are going to leave in the place where there are many Ixodus, better to be vaccinated.
Those bugs live not only in forests, they can spread into the cities and parks. And there are many cases of biting inside the cities.
Usually in my area local services do special manipulations, spreading chemicals that kill those bugs.
All the territories considered for children playing are processed in a special way.
We even can call that service and ask them to process our personal territories of houses, gardens, summer houses, but I’ve never done it.
It’s a real threat there, and I have many personal stories about those bad guys, but regarding all that amount of time I spend in the forest, it should be so, just a consequences of the law of big numbers
I just read that in May more than 10k people were bitten by those bugs in my area.
If you are a city boy and follow simple rules of safety, perhaps you will never meet them anywhere but in this blog.