This is a new kind of exercise I am experimenting with. This movie is a science-fiction romance suitable for all members of the family. It is thought-provoking and has some humorous moments as the alien acclimates to our strange human customs.
Simple plot: An alien ship encounters a Voyager space probe that we sent out many years ago inviting aliens to come visit the Earth. So the aliens decide to send an alien scout ship to visit the Earth. The lone alien visitor’s ship crashes on the Earth, and he becomes stranded here. He learns that the atmosphere on Earth is hostile to him, and he estimates that he has three days to be rescued or he will die. Suddenly, he has an urgent need to learn enough simple English to ask a human to help him rendezvous with his mother ship in three days so he can be rescued. The movie is about how he accomplishes this. The US government learns of his arrival and tries to capture him. Meanwhile, the alien encounters a widowed woman and forces her to drive him to the rendezvous point. There are some funny moments as her feelings go from terror to fear to curiosity to wonder to love.
These are the basic actions I would envision that you would take:
- Watch the movie (free) with English audio and English subtitles for understanding.
- Take notes so you can summarize the movie later, pausing as necessary.
- Write down any words or phrases that are new to you, pausing as necessary.
- (Optional) Watch the movie a second time with NO subtitles for listening comprehension practice.
- Summarize for me (in writing or speaking) what you think the movie was about — the basic plot with some key events, similar to what I have done above but with a little more detail.
- We will then discuss some selected scenes in the movie to exercise your new vocabulary and test your listening comprehension skills (understanding).
In this movie, the alien will learn three hand gestures, which I will call (a) Terrific, (2) Okay, and (3) Screw-You. Tell me what was happening when he learned these three gestures.